Radar Storm Echo Analysis

Discussion in 'Introductory weather & chasing' started by Richard Williams, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Richard Williams

Hi, I'm fairly new to analysing storms and radar echoes. I have attached an example of an echo from storms in the UK to this post. The picture is from a weather forum called www.netweather.tv. People commented on the echo saying it had severe storm features.

I'm interested to learn, so does anyone here agree with those comments? Does this appear to show anything (potentially) severe and what could indicate that? I do think it has a distinctive shape rather than being like a random blob.

Attached Files:

2. rdale

rdale EF5

Maybe. But without a color table, upper level information, knowledge of the height of the radar beam in the storm, etc. it's absolutely impossible to determine.

3. Taylor Wright

A storms "shape" on radar is rarely indicative of whether the storm is severe on not. I'd encourage you to look up the severe weather threshold (I'm not sure what they are in the UK) and what basic radar products indicate how close you are to these.

If you're referring to the storms looking like a supercell, again this is pretty subjective but they do somewhat resemble the "classic supercell" with a hook echo. Again this alone means nothing and a majority of storms that look like that fail to produce severe weather or tornadoes. If you're looking to learn more about analyzing radar, it's more important to know what you're actually looking at (reflectivity in dbz, velocity, etc) rather than focusing on things like shapes and colors. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

4. Richard Williams

Thanks for the answers, unfortunately the radar on netweather is pretty basic and those colors only relate to mm/hr precipitation rates and not dbz.

Also these storms were over fairly remote areas, but according to a power-point presentation on UK storms I found two days ago, the southern one produced sizable hailstones near a town which would be almost directly under it when I worked out its position with google earth.

I know we have doppler radar in the UK (quite a few actually) but it isn't made publicly available and any data comes at a big price from the Met Office.

5. Marc R. O'Leary

This is so strange to me. Why would this data not be publicly available?

6. rdale

rdale EF5

Because they don't get the tax monies that the NWS does.

7. Steven Williams

We have the same issue in New Zealand, no doppler radar publicly available unless you want to pay for it.

8. ScottCurry

@Paul Knightley posted about this in the "Question about UK Weather" thread. He would be the best person to ask what severe signatures this storm showed, as he was actively monitoring it. You also might want to check out his TORRO facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TorroUK/).

9. Richard Williams

Nice one, thanks for the link. I thought the radar pic in my opening post could be the same storm as the one I mentioned in the "Questions about a severe storm thread" but wasn't totally sure.. seems the storm moved very quickly. The document I found about the storm (in my other thread) mentioned it being elevated though, wonder if that means it cannot potentially spawn tornadoes?