PC mods to handle larger photo/video processing loads

Since RAW files are much the same size for a full frame camera (around 25mp), I never had any difficulty with processing these files when using Lightroom. But some plug-ins such as Topaz Gigapixel, Denoise, Sharpen, and video editing requires far more processing power. A one minute 1080p video takes 1 1/2 hours to clean and convert to 4K with this unmodded system!

Was using an older AMD 4-core processor with 16gb of DDR3 ram to begin with. Along with a 1050Ti/4gb video card and a SSD with win10 OS. So I scavenged parts from a couple of other computers. Put in an 8-core 4ghz processor and 32gb of ram. Everything else was the same. I first put in the extra ram, and this seemed to make a difference. It was after that point that putting in the better cpu was then done. Again the loading speed and processing time was gradually reduced somewhat. The Nvidia card also received 'Studio Drivers' instead of the gaming drivers, which are targeted for photo and video work (new drivers were just released today - btw). Lightroom seemed to be better off in every way. But videos; ugh.

Video files are enormous after processing. Just a one minute video converted to 4K and cleanup became a whopping 12gb file!!!
There has got to be a better way to do this, both for work flow speed and file size.
Any thought or recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks!

Rob,
Some thoughts I had and please forgive any “rambling as I am in the process of a bout with COVID (Delta variant). I would first make sure your BIOS is update for your board. If you switched the processor it very well may be that the older BIOS did not fully support the newer CPU thus an update would make things run more cohesive. For my business, I run a Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz “sometimes” OC” depending on the nature of my current situation. The board is a gaming board and supports DDR4. Not sure if yours is DDR4 driven, however that made a big difference to my workflow.
Now regarding file size. I don’t think there is a way to get around this too much. There are “hacks”, if you will, that can alleviate such a large size however the quality always becomes a question that pops up. What are you using to encode the video footage? I currently use Premiere Pro 2021. There are different format settings that might render smaller file sizes. I would love to fire up my system and give you some potential examples, however I have been quarantined and remain in my spare bedroom (very comfortable with bath and everything I need). I absolutely do not want my wife catching this. It has kicked a mud hole in me, even with the Pfizer shots!
I tell you what, I will also see if I can locate the videos I had that dealt with file size and send a link to you. If that is something you are interested in? Take care Rob, and stay safe out there!!
Respectfully,
Talmadge Pipkin
Paws Under the Door Studio
Clearwater, Fl.

• Haha
Reactions: James Hilger
Thank you, Talmadge Pipkin, for that info . . . may I ask what video card you use in your arrangement?

Guess this PC I am presently using may be better suited for just LrC photos. It is 32gb of DDR3.

For video rendering, I guess that I will have to go with an AMD 5800x cpu, 64gb of 3800mhz of DDR4, 1tb M.2 SSD, ASUS X570x mobo, and a hideously expensive RTX 2060Ti 8gb card. I understand at this point, that video card performance makes a pivotal difference with rendering speed.

Thoughts?

Thank you, Talmadge Pipkin, for that info . . . may I ask what video card you use in your arrangement?

Guess this PC I am presently using may be better suited for just LrC photos. It is 32gb of DDR3.

For video rendering, I guess that I will have to go with an AMD 5800x cpu, 64gb of 3800mhz of DDR4, 1tb M.2 SSD, ASUS X570x mobo, and a hideously expensive RTX 2060Ti 8gb card. I understand at this point, that video card performance makes a pivotal difference with rendering speed.

Thoughts?
…while I am thinking about (just took NyQuil to thwart some of the effects of COVID) and awake, here is the card I got on Amazon. VERY happy with the performance of this card!
EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 Super SC Ultra Gaming, 4GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate, 04G-P4-1357-KR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081R425Y...abc_QZ8NPH52DYJP6XCDPBQA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
More later! Take care…