*New Users. Meet and Greet Area*

Discussion in 'Introductory weather & chasing' started by Matthew Harding, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Matthew Harding

Hello all! My name is Matthew Harding and I am from Wichita, KS. I have been a weather enthusiast (thats putting it mildly) since I was a small child. I am currently attending Butler Community College (getting pre-reqs done) with the ultimate goal of becoming a television meteorologist. My unbridled passion has always been for tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, but I love all other types of weather.

I have been a lurker on Stormtrack for over a year and have learned a lot from everybody on here. Now that I am a member, I am hoping to make contacts and continue learning from those who have far greater weather knowledge than I ever will. Everything I know about weather, I have learned from reading books, papers, discussions, or just by asking questions. While I am lacking in my overall storm chasing experience, I have gotten "lucky" a couple of times. With that said, I feel that if I can learn the ropes of storm chasing and gain valuable experience in the field, that it will help me become a better meteorologist later.

I am eager to learn all that I can from everybody on here and look forward to meeting you out on the road in Spring 2009.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Adam Lucio

Adam Lucio Member

Welcome aboard. I like your avatar...the old school TWC symbol for freezing rain if I remember correctly...I havent seen that used in years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David Williams

Welcome Matthew! I am new to the forum as well, and I have already learned a ton by posting questions and reading other's posts. Good luck and hope to see you out on the road.

4. Matthew Harding

Thanks a lot Adam. Its the freezing rain icon from back when TWC was good. Thats another discussion for another thread.

5. Andrea Griffa

Welcome on Stmtck! You live in one of the best stormchasing zones of the world, sure this will help you a lot!;) Overall you will not have to do 10000 km to chase:)

6. Maggie Kahman

welcome to the board, Matthew :)

7. Dustin Wilcox

Dustin Wilcox Member

IMO that’s one thing it seems a lot of TV meteorologist lack, in the field experience. From my viewing experiences, it seems that TV Met's that I know chase or ones that have chased with me, seem to be leaps ahead of those w/o in the field experience when it comes to Severe Weather coverage. I'm not sure if its simply because they have a better understanding of what is going on, or if they can better understand/decipher reports coming in and relay those to the viewer better. Either way, I think its SUPER beneficial for broadcast Met's esp. in the Alley to have at least some chasing experience. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Dustin Wilcox, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  8. J. Sims

J. Sims Noob

New!

I am Joshua and i am new here and just wanted to say hi. I am currently living in Cottonwood, Arizona and am moving to Council Grove Kansas in June to have a better shot at chasing.

9. Dann Cianca

Welcome Matthew! I also like the icon. Where did you get it?

10. Rob Wadsworth

Welcome to STORMTRACK. Matthew!
    And while we are on the subjuect of Avatars - Dann C; did you make yours or did you find it somewhere.
    Either way - it is cool like Matthews!

11. Dann Cianca

Welcome to Storm Track, Joshua!

12. Dann Cianca

Made it ... want to make it into a t-shirt. :)

13. Matthew Harding

Dann and Rob, you can get those avitars from twcclassics.com, click on downloads and you can go from there. By the way, if you were ever a fan of Dave Schwartz, you can click on the "Schwartz Alert Mode" and look at some of his funniest moments.

14. Matthew Harding

Welcome to Stormtrack Joshua. Hope to see you out on the road next season!

15. Brandon Ivey

Welcome Matthew! I'm sure you will learn a lot here. Good Luck with the Meteorology studies! Which college do you plan to attend after you finish up at Butler?

16. Matthew Harding

Right now I plan on doing the BMP Program through MS State and attending Wichita State to take broadcasting classes.

17. Matthew Harding

Brandon-- I noticed that on your profile that you recently completed your meteorology degree. Did you do that through MS State or thro another avenue?

18. Chad Cowan

Chad Cowan Noob

Haha, that avatar reminds me of the goat in Jurassic Park. Tornadoes don't want to be fed, they want to hunt!

19. Shane Adams

Shane Adams Guest

Welcome to the Asylum :D

20. Bob Hartig

Bob Hartig Member

Welcome on board, Joshua. Lots to learn here. Join in the discussions, ask questions, and have fun. And blessings on your chases. :)

21. STurner

STurner Noob

Welcome to stormtrack Matthew. I am still pretty new myself but have learned a lot from people on stormtrack. Keep at it and you will fulfill your dreams of becoming a television meteorologist. Also most of my family lives in the Butler and Sedgwick county area.

22. Steve Miller

Steve Miller Owner
    Staff Member

Welcome!
    Hey, this is my first one-liner post...

23. Rob Wadsworth

Welcome to STORMTRACK, Joshua.
    You are going to move to KS to live there and chase!?!
    That is like living in Disneyland!
    :D

24. STurner

STurner Noob

Welcome Joshua I know that area really well for I was born in Emporia which is about 40 miles away. Even though I have never storm chased that much I am sure you will be pretty sucessful living in that area. My hometown has been hit by tornadoes on several occassions including a mile-wide F4 tornado on June 8, 1974. Good luck to you and be safe.

25. Kevin Rider

Supporter

Welcome to stormtrack Matthew. Nice to see someone else that lives in Wichita, Kansas! Wichita is my hometown but i am currently going to school at OU.