National Storm Chaser Summit Jan. 21-22, 2022 in Oklahoma City

Bill Hark

EF5
Jan 13, 2004
Richmond Virginia
www.harkphoto.com
They've finalized their speakers for the National Storm Chaser Summit this January 21-22, 2022 in Midwest City, part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Looks like a really impressive list including in no particular order, Tim Marshall, Dr Reed Timmer, Rich Thompson, Brett Adair, Gabe Garfield, Josh Morgerman, Mike Morgan, Emily Sutton, Brandon Clement, Daniel Shaw, Jim Edds, Jessica Moore and Dr. Bruce Lee is the keynote speaker. They also have a video night, car show/exhibition and breakout sessions. Here is their website link below, though I'd also suggest looking at their Facebook page for more detailed info:

National Storm Chaser Summit website

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
I'll be changing the air in my tires that weekend unfortunately. Seriously, at $80.00 per person is ludicrous. Considering some of the speakers, they would have to pay me 10x that amount to listen. It would be great if someone could organize such an event for the public, as the ultimate goal should be education, not people promoting bogus science and catering to social media fan boys.

Last edited:

erikfox

EF0
Jan 16, 2015
Yukon, Ok
I'll be changing the air in my tires that weekend unfortunately. Seriously, at $80.00 per person is ludicrous. Considering some of the speakers, they would have to pay me 10x that amount to listen. It would be great if someone could organize such an event for the public, as the ultimate goal should be education, not people promoting bogus science and catering to social media fan boys.
Unfortunately, we wish we could do this at no cost, but it’s absolutely impossible. We understand not everyone is going to appreciate the hard work many people are putting into this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, spewing hatred for those trying to create something good and worthwhile for new chasers and seasoned chaser is pretty classless in my books, but enjoy your air changing. Im sure you’re a pro at it!

• Haha
Reactions: James Hilger

erikfox

EF0
Jan 16, 2015
Yukon, Ok
They've finalized their speakers for the National Storm Chaser Summit this January 21-22, 2022 in Midwest City, part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Looks like a really impressive list including in no particular order, Tim Marshall, Dr Reed Timmer, Rich Thompson, Brett Adair, Gabe Garfield, Josh Morgerman, Mike Morgan, Emily Sutton, Brandon Clement, Daniel Shaw, Jim Edds, Jessica Moore and Dr. Bruce Lee is the keynote speaker. They also have a video night, car show/exhibition and breakout sessions. Here is their website link below, though I'd also suggest looking at their Facebook page for more detailed info:

National Storm Chaser Summit website
Thanks for spreading the word

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
Unfortunately, we wish we could do this at no cost, but it’s absolutely impossible. We understand not everyone is going to appreciate the hard work many people are putting into this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, spewing hatred for those trying to create something good and worthwhile for new chasers and seasoned chaser is pretty classless in my books, but enjoy your air changing. Im sure you’re a pro at it!
Maybe we should discuss speakers who actually represent what chasing is "actually" about rather than social media fan boys and those who some argue have perverted the world of storm chasing by misrepresenting themselves with fake science while endangering other chasers and the general public. If you are indeed trying to "create something good and worthwhile for new chasers," you have failed miserably. How about letting "new" or "young" chasers attend for free if this is your actual goal?

I understand you need to make a profit, but at what cost. There are many chasers (some on this forum) who work hard to promote genuine science, responsible chasing and public safety / service. Ironically, I'm not aware of a single individual on the speakers list who is an active member here. That should send up a red flag, as some chasers avoid public forums like this to avoid negative comments and exposure to the truth.

"'f it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth." Carl Sagan.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2009
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Warren, take it easy man! 😏 It’s a storm chasing convention, not a scientific meteorological symposium. Sure, some of the speakers may not chase as you or I would, but they are still chasers and many have had more success and interesting experiences to talk about than I will ever have, even if only by virtue of the fact that they do it full time versus my two weeks per year. Worrying about their antics is like refusing to go to a concert or sporting event because the musician or athlete happens to have a number of character flaws (as most do). Also, their lack of participation on the forum notwithstanding, I think it is unfair to paint guys like Tim Marshall (one of the most tenured chasers and a legit scientist) or Rich Thompson (SPC forecaster) with the same negative brush as some of the others for whom your criticism is more justified. I don’t know all the speakers listed, but the slate doesn’t seem much different in flavor, or any worse, than Roger Hill’s former storm chasing convention (and FWIW, Hill never participated on ST either). Lastly, $80 isn’t much, especially compared to the rest of the cost if flying or staying overnight in the hotel (I could even find the $80 listed on the site, to be honest…)

Jul 16, 2013
Joplin, MO
Maybe we should discuss speakers who actually represent what chasing is "actually" about rather than social media fan boys and those who some argue have perverted the world of storm chasing by misrepresenting themselves with fake science while endangering other chasers and the general public. If you are indeed trying to "create something good and worthwhile for new chasers," you have failed miserably. How about letting "new" or "young" chasers attend for free if this is your actual goal?

I understand you need to make a profit, but at what cost. There are many chasers (some on this forum) who work hard to promote genuine science, responsible chasing and public safety / service. Ironically, I'm not aware of a single individual on the speakers list who is an active member here. That should send up a red flag, as some chasers avoid public forums like this to avoid negative comments and exposure to the truth.

"'f it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth." Carl Sagan.
Tim Marshall and Rich Tompson are the only two speakers on that list I'd sit and listen to. I agree with what you're saying, if I am paying $80 then I expect a better lineup of speakers. I mean their keynote speaker is Dr. Bruce Lee? Only Bruce Lee I know was the actor.

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
Tim is a great guy and I was certainly not referring to him or the other responsible speakers. I'm talking about balance. Chuck Doswell (who is not speaking) is a genuine scientist who added balance to the events. Chasing is not all about yelling and screaming while chasing in manners that some would argue is misleading, dangerous and irresponsible. Maybe organizers want "new" chasers to emulate that kind of behavior, but I don't. I would also suggest any "science" speakers be required to have written an actual peer-reviewed paper, published in a major publication -- relating to their life-saving research. I don't see a single speaker representing Skywarn or spotter activities. I don't see a single speaker who will discuss safety or chasing ethics. There are many responsible chasers who know this is true, but they don't have the guts to speak up in fear of retaliation. Having said this, the organizers are certainly free to have anyone speak they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Ketcham
Jan 7, 2006
USA
www.skyinmotion.com

I don't have any specific plans to attend this event, but I'm dumbfounded by your blistering reaction to the speaker list. I mean, as the modern chase community goes, you could do far worse. Tim Marshall and Rich Thompson need no introductions. Bruce Lee is on the atmospheric science faculty at UND and was heavily involved in TWISTEX. Reed and Gabe are both veteran chasers with graduate degrees from OU and have contributed to ST in the past. You don't have to like every speaker, but I don't know that you could easily recruit a more credentialed cast for a chasing-centric event like this. In case those of you outside the profession have forgotten, the vast majority of meteorologists (and especially academics) are not chasers, and even some who are may shy away from appearing to endorse an event like this because it's such a taboo amongst their colleagues.

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
My dream team for a chase conference would include the following. I'm not sure if some of these people would (or could) participate. What is your dream team?

Chuck Doswell (Historical perspective and ethics).
David Hoadley (History).
James Spann (Dixie weather expert).
Josh Morgerman (Hurricane chaser).
Mike Olbinski (Great photographer).
Tim Marshall (History).
Jon Davies (Forecasting).
SPC (Any of their lead forecasters to discuss synoptic forecasting).
An ST meteorologist(s) to discuss local chase forecasting or a specific event.
A Veteran Medic (Basic trauma presentation).
Someone from Skywarn
Someone to discuss copyright, etc.

erikfox

EF0
Jan 16, 2015
Yukon, Ok
Honestly Warren,

if you would like to come up with the$15,000 dollars to put this on, ill let you take it over next year. No one has an idea but maybe the Hills what it takes to put something on this size. I realize not everyone is going to be happy, but Instead of making accusations why don’t you just ask. NSCS is set up as a non profit, so your statement about a profit is self indulgent. We have 3 breakout sessions planned that is geared for safety and basic things new chasers should know. Assuming you know everything about this event what was thing motive of those of us putting it on? I think you would ask question instead of tearing people down. You wonder why people stay off of sites like this, it’s drama created needlessly. By all means, reach out for questions, you might be surprised what you find out is the truth in regards who is involved and the plans for the future.

• Haha

Warren Faidley

Supporter
May 7, 2006
Mos Isley Space Port
www.stormchaser.com
No problem Erik. Was not trying to tear down people or the event which I'm sure is a lot of work.

I don't know how long you have been chasing or what your background is, but not every chaser (and the general public) is happy with the current "getting dangerously close" to deadly weather for no "genuine" purpose other than social media ego stroking. If an event includes fools who purpously drive into a tornado for drama, it's 100% wrong and misleading to young or inexperienced chasers. Would you host a medical event were doctors carelessly operated on patients for kicks? This topic has been discussed before ad nauseam in this and other forums. People have been involved in close calls, injured and killed under this theory of chasing; mostly those emulating the psuedo-indestructible, aggressive, idiotic styles seen on TV. Enough on that.

People are certainly free to chase as they want, but when they endanger other chasers, the general public or first responders, it crosses the line. (I'm also a volunteer Tactial EMT when needed). I see no one in your line-up to oppose such behavior, offer alternatives or discuss genuine, peer-supported and approved research, where professionals are more concerned about gathering actual data than being the first to post a pretty picture on social media. Until the problems are addressed, more people, including chasers will be injured and killed.

I'm sure you are a nice guy and I salute your military service. No offense is intended, just a discussion. Thank you and happy holidays.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2012
Macomb, IL
stormoptics.smugmug.com
I would probably go if it was closer to the Midwest (Central IL) where I could make a day trip and be home by night without the cost of a hotel and stuff.

I just can't fathom spending $500+ on a weekend with no storms or anything. Went to chasercon in 2014 and spent close to $600 in travel+hotel+food and other expenses and I honestly regretted it. Money I could have used to chase. I'm also a fairly anti-social person (I actually don't really like being around people at all, have a condition that causes me panic and terror from it due to traumatic experiences early in life). I chase to get away from people completely and have almost no interaction lol. No offense to any of the speakers, as most of the material when I went was stuff I either learned in class or coulda got online. I assume there will be a live stream though?

Also with gas prices where they are these days, I think a lot of folks will save their money from traveling long distance; unless they live within a couple hours of the venue (OKC area probably or Wichita)....or have some type of frequent flyer miles or however that works (I don't fly much, so no clue) that allow them to fly at will. I'm sure it will be a good time for those that go! Definitely hope for a good turn out for all those that organized it :) Best wishes!