1. Hey there, Guest! Join us in the Discord where it's all weather, all the time, 24/7/365. Membership applications are processed in 24hrs or less. Drop by and see how we've improved this important medium.
    Dismiss Notice

NatGeo's Your Shot Photo Community Enables Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'Sky photography' started by James Hammett, Sep 22, 2018.

1. James Hammett

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Warren Faidley

National Geographic is not what is use to be. I had to stop working with them years go. Shame.

3. Bill Hark

Bill Hark EF5

Thanks for the warning. I am surprised they would be that careless.

4. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson WxLibrary Editor
    Staff Member

Most photo contests have always been predatory, but this is a new low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Warren Faidley

This is a good lesson and discussion for new photographers. I was once a finalist in an International nature photography competition and they required the original transparencies to make copies for a book. Back in the day, a photographer never parted with the actual originals, especially long before Photoshop and digital copying. I declined and lost out. Unfortunately, it's very hard to tell someone who does not shoot for a living to give up free publicity in exchange for unlimited ripoffs.

6. James Hammett

Saw this pop up in my Feedly today...unfortunately more bad behavior from National Geographic:

The magazine was asking for people’s images “in perpetuity” to be used “throughout the universe” for free.

Seems like there's a limitless pool of talented photographers willing to go to great lengths to acquire and submit photos to contests like this for nothing but a credit line (if that) and some warm fuzzies. Climbing all over each other for the smallest signs of validation...like notification that an editor added a photo to their favorites. The big players are getting ever better at creating a no-cost supply chain.

7. Warren Faidley

The only credit I give them is some honor points for following Tim Samaras and avoiding the fake scientist(s) at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 Warren Faidley, Feb 21, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019 at 7:36 AM