Mid-1990s tornado event?

Discussion in '1990s' started by Melanie Kern-Favilla, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Melanie Kern-Favilla

Hi everyone -

I seem to remember a video from somewhere in the mid-1990s, I believe, of a farmer (possibly in Ohio?) witnessing five full-fledged tornadoes at once. I remember him shooting the first tornado and then simply panning across the landscape and saying something like, 'there's another one, and another, and another...' while his wife is yelling at him to get into the basement.

Does anyone remember the date/location of this event and is the video still around? I haven't been able to find it anywhere...

Thanks in advance.

2. Scott Weberpal

3. Jason Foster

Jason Foster Guest

Gotta love the old TVC voice over commentary. That voice will be in my mind forever. I'd so wish of the Storms of series got going again, we could use that guy for the voice overs.

4. Melanie Kern-Favilla

I think I combined the two videos in my head. I remember the panning from the first video but I remember the screaming wife from the second video. LOL. Thanks gang. Great stuff.

5. Jeff Richardson

Same here...I'll never forget that guys voice. He was perfect for the job. The funny thing about some of those videos is they often tell you more about the comical family dynamics than the storm itself. :D

6. Marcus Diaz

Love how that lady is panicing, and the guy says "Well go on Dinah, we're alright, we're full grown adults!" HAHA! Priceless!

7. Andy Jackson

That is amazing footage.

8. E. Clark

E. Clark EF0

And all that amazing just fell into the black hole of copyright.

"Lazbuddie, TX La..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

Edit: I think I just found the one with the person yelling to get inside - but it's a little kid, not a woman, so I'm not sure. This really is an amazing video for it's time, gorgeous tornado. The family eventually gets in their car and parallel it down the road. Timestamp says '89 though. http://youtu.be/bxJ8rf_XNYE

And bingo: "From the Gil Lamb Advertising archives, see a collection of three home videos of a tornado north of Muleshoe, Texas, on June 3, 1989. Shows the formation of the funnel and some of the aftermath and destruction of homes along U.S. Highway 70 north of the city of Muleshoe. Video footage shot by Gary Freeman, Engle Gatewood and Larry Rasco." http://gillambadvertisingmuleshoe.com/?p=5013

Lazbuddie is about 14 miles north of Muleshoe so this is probably the tornado you are looking for.

#9 E. Clark, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  9. Bob Hartig

I remember the footage Melanie mentioned. It was in one of Grazulis's Tornado Video Classics videos, but I don't remember which one. It was an impressive--and humorous--clip, featuring one large tornado and at least two smaller tornadoes--not satellites, as I recall, but associated with independent circulations. Very cool! I remember one of the guys commenting, "Man, there is some bad stuff in them clouds!"

#10 Bob Hartig, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  10. Wes Carter

I have his entire VHS collection, volumes 1-3 plus the fourth plain black wrapper bonus DVD. Watching those old VHS tapes is very interesting because most were shot by non-chasers.

One that still intrigues me is the guy who films a tornado from his front door as it destroys the mobile home across the street and coming directly at him. The video abruptly ends but iirc it looks like the tornado might have ended the filming.

Another fave is the airplane punching through fully condensed waterspouts.

11. mikedeason

Or this gem: "We'uhll be awraht...wur full grawn uhdults!"

12. Bret Hendrickson

I believe that was the Friona, TX tornado of June 2, 1995. About 9 years ago I showed that video to lower school kids at a local school. Great example of what NOT to do when a tornado approaches. He was struck by lightning and then kept filming as buildings were being destroyed around him. The tornado still looked to be in it's early multi-vortex stage during the video. I believe it morphed into a large wedge not long after and struck Friona.