Known fastest moving cell/tornado?

Mar 28, 2016
Hyannis, MA
I'm currently watching coverage of the April 19, 2011 severe weather/tornado event in the STL area. One of the cells that formed out ahead of the main line moved to the NE at 75 mph. In my experiences, whether in the field as a chaser or sitting at my computer I have never seen a storm move that fast.

Jun 17, 2007
SIlver Spring MD
I'm currently watching coverage of the April 19, 2011 severe weather/tornado event in the STL area. One of the cells that formed out ahead of the main line moved to the NE at 75 mph. In my experiences, whether in the field as a chaser or sitting at my computer I have never seen a storm move that fast.
Left-moving supercells have been clocked at over 80 mph a number of times. On 3/28/2005, an intense left-moving supercell averaged a speed of 96 mph as it cut across NC in about 100 min.

The forward speed of large, intense tornadoes have been clocked as high as 75 mph (Guin AL
4/3/1974). More recently, the rope stage of one of the twin Pilger NE tornadoes on 6/16/2014
was estimated to be moving at nearly 90 mph at one point as it rotated around the other
larger ongoing tornado.

Jul 5, 2009
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Boris’s mention of the Pilger rope rotating around the other larger tornado makes me wonder about the satellite tornado that rotated around the main El Reno tornado, what was the speed of that one?

D Christy

Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2020
Ponca City, OK
I remember reading a severe weather report out of Tulsa about six months ago where they were stating a cell was moving to the northeast at 80 mph. It caught my attention as I didn't think a storm could move that quickly.

Reactions: Peter B. Creedon