Help! Tour Cancelled

Discussion in 'STORMTRACK: Announcements' started by Michael Brown, May 11, 2017.

1. Michael Brown

I hope some of you can help me. I grew up in Oklahoma and have always loved severe weather and to photograph it. I presently live in Michigan where I work as a physician (cardiologist..use doppler in a different way!) I have gone on tours since 2013, last year my tour was cancelled due to lack of weather and was moved to this year. I just found out that tour is now being moved to 2018. Honestly, I am devistated....have looked forward to it all year. In any event my schedule is not flexible. I have from the 14th thru the 22nd of May. If any of you do tours and have a spot during that time, I would love to hear from you!

2. Darren Lo

Darren Lo Member

That's unfortunate. Who is/was your tour with and did they give a satisfactory explanation for the delay to 2018?

3. Michael Brown

It was with Lanny Dean, apparently he underwent surgery today. Can't tell you who disappointed I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack

4. Darren Lo

Darren Lo Member

If you're willing to drive or otherwise take an active role, perhaps you could ask in the chase partner thread to see if anyone is looking for a partner next week. Unfortunately that thread is pretty dead at the moment because it was started so late this year. Alternatively, if you haven't already done so, you could ask the various tour operators (e.g. those listed at stormchasingusa.com) if they're able to accommodate you in any way.

5. Mark Blue

Staff Member

That's bad news Dr. Brown. I'd recommend getting on the waiting list with Roger Hill's group, which can be found here: http://www.silverliningtours.com/2017-tour-schedule/. They might be able to work something out for you, especially for local chases, but it is getting late in the game at this point.

Tempest Tours has been around awhile too. They can be found here: http://www.tempesttours.com/storm-chasing-tours-2017.html and look to be pretty well booked up too. You never know though if or when someone might bail out at the last minute. Good luck and let us know if you have issues.

6. Michael Brown

Thank all of you for your suggestions. I was able to find an operator who could accomodate me!! Hoping some good convective weather can bet me throught the next Michigan winter!

• Like Like x 2
  7. JamesCaruso

JamesCaruso Member

Combining the suggestions from Darren and Mark - if Silver Lining or Tempest have no room on their tours, but you are willing to drive yourself, they might be willing to let you caravan with them in your own vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Kevin Rimcoski

Extreme Tornado Tours is another good one.

9. Ethan Schisler

Ethan Schisler Experienced Member

Twisted Sky Tours with my friend Alec Scholten. They have a high success rate in recent seasons and are relatively new. Find him on Facebook and shoot him a message, they are pretty affordable too. I'm not sure this close if they have any openings, but he's a personal friend of mine and you can't go wrong there.

10. Darren Lo

Darren Lo Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. joel ewing

joel ewing Member

Fellow StormTrackers....please help me help the good Dr. Brown here, please. For the life of me, I'm blank when trying to remember Charles Edward's tour company name. HELP! Dr. Brown....Charles Edwards has been in the tour business for many years. He WILL get you close to the action. He's out of Norman, Okla, and has been involved in chasing for years and has had his tour company, as I mentioned, for several years now too. I've been chasing solo and with a the same chase partner for decades myself, and IF I were searching for a tour company, in addition to the fine ones mentioned in the other posts here, I'd be VERY happy to be aboard Charles Edwards' group. If I happen to remember his tour company name, I'll log back in and post it for you. BTW.....IF you DO happen to get accepted by a tour group, would you please be so kind as to let us know that you've been accommodated? Thanks and best of luck. joel ewing / Tucson, az.

12. joel ewing

joel ewing Member

Dr. Brown....Although I was mentally blank for a moment...I finally remembered the name of his tour group that I mentioned earlier: Charles Edwards / Cloud 9 Tours. Google for the website addy. Here is the phone number that I have on file: 405-323-1145. I highly recommended Charles' tour company. He WILL get you close to the action....and has many years of experience to do this safely.
    Boy....what a tough break to have a tour cancelled out from under you. THAT hurts. I can feel your pain on this one. I truly wish you the best of luck in latching onto another tour. BTW, the other tours mentioned in these posts are all tours I would give the thumbs-up to myself. Good luck! joel ewing / tucson, az.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Brown

Joel, thank you very much but I did find a person to chase with and have been out this week. Taking a break today in Norman with my son who is a student at OU. Will head out tomorrow. Again, thank you for your concerns.