HAM Radio License Levels

Discussion in 'Storm spotters' started by Michael Norris, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Michael Norris

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, so if it needs to be moved then by all means.

So while thinking ahead a bit, I've been toying with the idea of entering into the ham radio world. Mostly for mobile storm spotting, but perhaps for fun on the side as well. While digging around the interwebs I found out there are actually 3 different levels of ham license. My question is, in yall's experience, which license is the minimum needed to effectively be used for storm spotting/ reporting.

#1 Michael Norris, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. rdale

rdale EF5

• Like Like x 1
  3. GWYoung

GWYoung Lurker

Agreed. Technician level is adequate.

A decent cheap radio is the BAOFENG's, out of China. They are available on Amazon and don't cost all that much. Might want to upgrade the antenna. You'll also want to download CHIRP, which is a program used to program your radio.

You can study online for the test here:
    https://hamstudy.org/

• Like Like x 1
    #3 GWYoung, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Michael Norris

5. B. Dean Berry

B. Dean Berry Moderator

Yeah, you only need General if you are planning staffing a Skywarn desk at a WFO, and they use some form of HF net.

6. Michael Norris

Thanks for the advice! I'll check that out

7. Randy Jennings

While I agree the Tech is all you need for storm spotting, you should take the General test too. It costs nothing extra to take more than one test in the same sitting and about half of the folks who take both the Tech and General in one sitting end up passing the General, especially if they have read thru the General question pool at least once after they think they are ready for the Tech. The General is very simular to the Tech but has more questions about band privileges. If you pass the General you can try the Extra at no cost, but it is a much harder test and requires a lot of study.