GPS Tech - Common GPS issues

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by John Erwin, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Willoughby Owen

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used the Novatel 4620L Verizon MiFi device as a GPS? There is a function you can enable!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-55860/

After a bit of playing around and having it go from a 'cold start' it seemed to be okay but with streaming data cutting out every minute for a bit. EarthBridge for some reason didn't like the NMEA feed it was getting from GPSGate... but the SpotterNetwork and GrLevel3 apps seemed to work with it OK. Would be nice to get rid of the Garmin 18 USB with an aging plug and system susceptible to BSODs thanks to it in the middle of a chase!

2. Mark Blue

Staff Member

I haven't used EarthBridge before, but looking at the support page I have a couple of ideas. EarthBridge was last updated in February 2006, so I have to wonder if it might be the cause of any BSODs you're receiving as that's some pretty old and buggy code. Secondly, I have to wonder if Google Earth even needs EarthBridge anymore in order to pick up a GPS stream from GPSGate.

You could try taking EarthBridge out of the equation as a first step, then delete your GPSGate settings by deleting the XML file where the settings are stored. This is somewhat OS dependent as to where the XML file is stored, so if you chime in with that information I can point you in the right direction. Then you'd reboot and run the GPSGate setup wizard again to detect your Garmin unit and setup new virtual ports and such. I'm not sure it'll work but it's worth a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TJKLECKNER

I used the 4620L all spring with no issues with GPS Gate. With my new hotspot, I'm using Bluetooth GPS from my phone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James Wilson

I have the BU-353 and I am trying to use it on Windows 10 ... no go.

Is anyone using a USB GPS in Windows 10 yet? If so please advise so I can purchase one.

5. Brian G

Brian G EF2

You need the BU-353-S4.

If you want to pipe the NMEA data from it into the newer Windows Location Services infrastructure then you can use GPSDirect. This is only necessary if you want to use the device with the Windows Store apps like Maps.

• Like Like x 2
  6. James Wilson

Outstanding thank you ... I take it it works with GPSGate?

7. Brian G

Brian G EF2

Yes. I have the BU-353-S4 and GPSGate working together in Windows 10.

And remember to set GPSGate to forward to a port number less than 10 otherwise GRLevel3 can't see it. That's a bug in GRL3 that Mike is aware of, but I'm not sure he's fixed yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ben Holcomb

Ben Holcomb Digital Janitor
    Staff Member

You can make the bu353 work in Windows 10 but you have to use some ancient drivers and sometimes you have to reinstall if they get wiped out.

For $35 or so, get the s4. Be advised the USB cable is fragile! I bought a short 1 foot USB extender from Amazon and used black tape to tape them together

Sent from my XT1254 using Stormtrack mobile app

9. Nick Copeland

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jeff Hagle

Jeff Hagle Lurker

it this info still up to date fixen to get one