Gene Rhoden's "High Instability" internet radio show

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by Bobby Prentice, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Bobby Prentice

[​IMG]

Gene Rhoden's "High Instability" internet radio show will officially debut on Wednesday, February 21st at 7:00pm CT. His first guest will be Chuck Doswell.

Full details and a link to listen to the program can be found at: http://www.highinstability.com

MODERATOR NOTE: This program may contain some adult language.

#1 Bobby Prentice, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  2. Jon Gossin

sweet! i'm there!

3. Morgan Palmer

Looking forward to a no-nonsense serious weather broadcast/podcast very much. There are a few good ones (Weatherbrains comes to mind), but many pretenders. Since this is Gene's, it's sure to be appointment listening!

4. Paul Austin

Paul Austin Guest

-----Ditto!

5. Stuart Robinson

#5 Stuart Robinson, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  6. Dave Gallaher

7. Hope this doesn't put words in his mouth as such but this is his reply to a similar question I asked on Aust Weatherzone forums...

I will be offering podcasts of past shows in the archive section as well as scheduling rebroadcasts of shows on both shocknetradio.com and WRBN.net. The only unfortunate thing is that you won;t be able to call in to speak with the guest live at those other times.

The show will also be simulcast on http://www.WRBN.net The latest promo for the show can be heard here: http://www.highinstability.com/HighInstability1.mp3

8. J Kinkaid

J Kinkaid Guest

I am looking forward to the show ! A friend of mine Bob Brookens is providing the server

9. Bobby Prentice

Final reminder:

Gene Rhoden debuts his new "High Instability™" internet radio show Wednesday, February 21 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Tune into the show at highinstability.com (for high bandwidth CD quality) and click on the "Click Here to Listen Button".

You will need to download an aacPlus plugin found here:

http://www.orban.com/plugin/

If you use windows media player to listen or you can use winamp found here:

http://www.winamp.com/player/full.php

A low bandwidth simulcast can be found at WRBN.net. Simply click on your media player of choice located within the box on the middle right-hand side of their main web page. Or you can also download the latest version of Real Player as it has a built in aacPlus decoder. The audio will be better quality by listening through the shocknet site linked above but WRBN.net is certainly "good"

Gene's first guest will be world famous scientist and storm chaser Dr. Chuck Doswell. The show will be LIVE! Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on Thursdays. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

Next week's guest will be Dr. Kevin Kloesel from the University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology.

#9 Bobby Prentice, Feb 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  10. Bobby Prentice

March 7th High Instability guest...Roger Edwards

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be Storm Prediction Center (SPC) Forecaster and storm chaser Roger Edwards. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 7, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

Tune into the show at highinstability.com (for high bandwidth CD quality) and click on the "Click Here to Listen Button".

A low bandwidth simulcast can be found at WRBN.net. Simply click on your media player of choice located within the box on the middle right-hand side of their main web page. Or you can also download the latest version of Real Player as it has a built in aacPlus decoder. The audio will be better quality by listening through the shocknet site linked above but WRBN.net is certainly "good"

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.

11. Tim Vasquez

Gene's radio show is just outstanding... a phenomenal wealth of information. Also credit is due to R. J. Evans, the backbone of the show. As Bobby mentioned, only 2 episodes have aired (Doswell and Kloesel), and the next one with Roger Edwards is going to be a "must be there" event for anyone who wants to forecast tornadoes. Roger's philosophies on storm forecasting are legendary and should serve as an example to us all.

This radio program is a momentous event and shouldn't be missed. Just to reiterate, it's on Wednesdays at 7 pm Central.

Tim

12. Tim Vasquez

Just bumping this thread to the top as a reminder that the show is on this evening from 7 pm to 8:30 pm. Go to the front page for quick links to get there.

EDIT: As we're a family-friendly site, this is just a note that the show is PG-level for language and minor suggestive content.

13. J Kinkaid

J Kinkaid Guest

You can also check out the show at http://www.wrbn.net if the main feed is down

Or click on any of the radio buttons at Hardcoreweather

14. Anyone ever use the chat there for it? Just 2 of us in there now lol.

15. Jeremy Bower

More people showed up at the end Mike...lol. I would've up showed up earlier but I was taking care of some CPSWS matters. Another excellent broadcast! Anytime you put Roger and Chuck in the same room you know its going to be a good time.

16. Jason Boggs

Jason Boggs Guest

I just got through listening to the archive show with Chuck Doswell. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with the show. There were some off the wall comments made about pink panties, taking someones wife home with you, and how big your ****** is. There were some interesting discussions, but I think the show would be much better without R.J. in the mix. I really thought this show was supposed to be about weather and storm chasing?

This post is not intended to start a flame war. I respect Gene Rhoden very much, but I was a little surprised at some of the comments that were made. Overall, I have to say that I enjoyed the show and hopefully this was just a fluke.

#16 Jason Boggs, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  17. Morgan Palmer

I liked show #1... any internet radio/podcast should have some more informal shooting of the bull. If it's strictly structured like a commercial radio program, then frankly, it sounds contrived. However, I respect others' opinions about what they would and would not like to hear.

That's what's great about podcasting... always a work-in-progress! And whatever you like, you can always count on it getting better over time.

Anyone know where show number 2 is? I work most Weds. nights too late to catch the live show. My understanding is that the podcast would be posted on Sunday, but I only see show number one there.

mp

18. Dick McGowan

To me it sounded like they were having fun and that's what radio is all about. I just listened to last nights show, and can't believe I have missed the other two. I think RJ is hilarious and Gene is doing a fine job of hosting the show. I think they said Jim Ladue was on for next week??

19. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson Guest

I agree with Jason - excellent discussions on the show that will be hard to find anywhere else. I was however put off by a few of the occasional off-color commentary that soured an otherwise enjoyable show. FWIW.

I do applaud the efforts put into this program and will keep listening.

20. Dave Gallaher

I concur with Jason and Dan---I enjoyed the archived podcast with Dr. Doswell late last night. The overall program would have been quite good even if I was a person lacking interest in storms; the music selections were good (particularly like the 'weather song of the week' idea and the Lubbock tornado-inspired selection was interesting). Gene Rhoden and RJ kept the flow going nicely and Chuck's experiences and deeper thinking translate very well over radio. The chaser tales of irony offered insight into areas we have all experienced, and their broadcast voices and mics made for quality listening even over my laptop's tiny speakers.

But toward the end, the episode drifted into some sadly predictable shock-jock cliche patter, and at times it sounded gratuitous--as if there had to be a percentage of potentially offensive language to warrant space on the network. I deeply hope that there is no prerequisite for this. I can handle the diversions into politics and social commentary just fine, but I'd prefer to have any conversations that dip into reproductory humor off the air.

I make these comments out of respect and appreciation for all involved, and in view of how excellent it is to have such a program available.

21. I hope the show continues like it has. Some folks are just too easily "offended". It'll be ok. I guess I'd rather hear someone's true personality than hear them being fake(yes I'm sure some can already judge and say this is them being fake). If this is how you like to do the show, well I hope you stick to it and don't let those so easily offended change how you do it. This hobby seems to lean heavily towards the easily offended. If you don't like it, start up your own. I'm sorry but straight forward, restricted anything, isn't much fun to me.

22. Dave Gallaher

23. Jason Boggs

Jason Boggs Guest

I just can't understand why a "Live chaser talk radio" has to have that crap in it. Is it the "cool" factor or what? All I can say is that if you have kids and want to listen to the show, make darn sure that they are in an area where they can't hear it.

Mike: No, I'm not that easily offended, and yes It'll be ok. I was a little upset that they got off on subjects such as what I stated in my previous post. I have stated my opinion on this matter, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm finished with this thread.

#23 Jason Boggs, Mar 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  24. Mikel Shively

I'm not sure why that is such a big deal...It's not like they were dropping F-bombs left and right. Even if they did, I'm sure we have all heard that sort of language before, it's not anything new. I for one don't think they should have to censor themselves. I enjoy the show, and think it should continue as-is.

25. Bobby Prentice

March 14th guest...Jim Ladue

Gene Rhoden's guest on "High Instability" this week will be meteorologist and storm chaser Jim Ladue from the National Weather Service's Warning Decision Training Branch. The show will air LIVE on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 7 pm Central Time (8 pm Eastern). Call TOLL FREE 1-866-400-6684 with your questions or comments during the show.

Tune into the show at highinstability.com (for high bandwidth CD quality) and click on the "Click Here to Listen Button".

Each week's show will be repeated at 2 pm Central Time (3 pm Eastern) on the following Thursday. Also, each show will be archived and available for podcast the following Sunday night on highinstability.com.