Galveston TX September 8-9 / 1900

Trade Stocks for Free with Robinhood
Leverage your knowledge of weather to beat the stock market with free trading on Robinhood! Sign up today, get free stock!
Dec 13, 2003
La Plata, Maryland
On this day: 9-8-1900 the worst weather disaster in terms of life lost hit Galveston TX. The hurricane reached category 4 strength with winds around 140mph with a storm surge of 15 feet. Over 3,000 homes were swept off their foundations. Estimated fatalities range from 6,000 to 12,000.

May 1, 2004
Springfield, IL
www.skip.cc
I picked up a copy of Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson after hearing Lew Fincher's review of it at the National Tropical Weather Conference. It's a very dramatic yet detailed and historical narrative of the Galveston hurricane. I highly recommend it if you're interested in this event. Quite the coincidence, I happened to be reading the landfall chapters 114 years to the day after the landfall of this hurricane.

NancyM

EF0
Jun 14, 2013
I'm glad to know about that book. Erik Larson knows how to write a riveting account of historical events. His "In the Garden of Beasts", about pre-WWII Berlin, was terrific.

Incidentally, my husband's great uncle (I think), Zachary Scott, was a young medical student in Galveston during the hurricane. His experiences are mentioned here:

http://archive.org/stream/weekendinseptemb010743mbp/weekendinseptemb010743mbp_djvu.txt

and other places on the web.

Last edited by a moderator: