Frederick, CO Landspout Tornado, June 7, 2021

John Farley

Supporter
Apr 1, 2004
Pagosa Springs, CO
www.johnefarley.com
This landspout tornado east of Boulder, CO just might be the most seen and photographed tornado of 2021. And one of the more photogenic. I watched it live on Channel 9 for about half hour.

Jeff Duda

EF6+, PhD
Staff member
Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Broomfield, CO
www.meteor.iastate.edu
If you can predict it, that is...or just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I live in Broomfield, < 30 miles from where that tornado occurred. I could not see it from any position in my neighborhood even when I looked for it. And you can't get across town at that time of day with any speed.

None of the non-supercell tornado indices gave any indication that such an event was possible. Landspouts are less predictable than mesocyclonic tornadoes.

Jun 23, 2018
Golden, Co
I did try to get to a viewing spot from golden. Should have known better...stuck in traffic for 40 minutes. All my non storm chasing buddies were sending me tornado pics better then most I send them lol.

Mar 30, 2008
Norman, OK
www.benholcomb.com
Was at the Hilton Garden Inn in Longmont after working all day on a project. Enjoying some Colorado things, talking on the phone in my rental car outside my hotel. Looked over and was like 'Hey that's a nice wall clou holy shit that's a tornado'

PXL_20210607_232844812.jpg

Caught the last 5 minutes. As Jeff said, traffic at that time is impossible, so I enjoyed what was left from a distance.

First colorado fully condensed tornado, highest altitude, tallest (LCL's over 10,000' means that tornado was approximately a mile tall!). Thank you Colorado, I still hate you though