extreme cold

Trade Stocks for Free with Robinhood
Leverage your knowledge of weather to beat the stock market with free trading on Robinhood! Sign up today, get free stock!

calvinkaskey

Feb 17, 2014
Port Crane near Binghamton, N.Y. has had only 4 days below zero so far and only 4 days with highs in the teens and no days with highs in the single digits yet with several says with highs in the 50's. Cold winter? I think not, at least in the northeast.
We now have had some very cold weather :p. -2 or so during the hottest part of the day at BGM this past Sunday. Record low high of 6 after midnight that day and a record cold low temperature tied yesterday. I'm wondering if the year was 1994 how cold it would have gotten this past weekend and yesterday. Five degrees colder? I'm curious about the potential for ice jam flooding even though we don't have that much snow on the ground, especially compared to the New England states.

Chuck Kavanaugh

Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2015
Braidwood, IL
I think the cold temps and sub-zero wind chills we have been experiencing the last few weeks will take a bite out of the atmosphere and it will be another calm and tranquil storm season. The atmosphere last season never had the heat and humidity it needed to fire tornadic storms.

calvinkaskey

Feb 17, 2014
I think there was colder air available in 1994, although the flow might have been harder to achieve in1994?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2011
Michigan
www.lakefx.net

calvinkaskey

Feb 17, 2014
I blame the Russians. Wasn't this cold air that was over Russia at one time? Last Thursday or Friday the Eastern US was the only real notable area of colder than normal air other than in south central Asia although. That area though was not as large nor nearly as cold relatively speaking. I wonder if this could mean a rapid change heading into spring time.

OK, here's some extreme cold for you. Cape Girardeau, MO set a new record of -8 this morning. The old record was 20. That breaks the record by 28 degrees.

http://kamala.cod.edu/mo/latest.sxus73.KPAH.html

The -6 reading this morning in Paducah, KY this morning was the coldest temperature on record in March. Both of these low readings were of course helped along by the deep snow cover from the recent storm.