David Hoadley's YouTube Channel

Discussion in 'Historical weather events' started by Bob Schafer, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Bob Schafer

Bob Schafer Member

2. Jeff Hawkins

Jeff Hawkins Member

Thanks for posting the link...had no idea David even had YT videos. Even more interesting are the suggested related videos offered by YT when viewing one of his videos. I had no idea there's old interviews posted by others out there of him, plus videos with mentions of Tim Marshall, Warren Faidley, Chuck Doswell, Mike Smith, (Tim Samaras of course,) and others, plus old TV clips of interviews with storm chasers "of old". Time to go "gold digging" :0)!

#2 Jeff Hawkins, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Warren Faidley

In addition to posting those classic videos, I certainly hope Dave writes an autobiography someday. He is a major part of chasing history and it would be a great loss if his adventures were forgotten. I still recall the day back in the late 1980's when Tom Willett and myself were almost too nervous to go up to him and introduce ourselves because we were such amateurs.

Warren

4. Adam R Davis

Adam R Davis Member

I'd buy that book in a heartbeat.
    His Youtube channel is fascinating to look at. And it's kinda awesome that he was on the big EF4 near Salina KS last year. That was my first encounter with a long track, violent tornado.
    Also, Warren, I reread your book from the mid-90s again last week. Still a fun read and some great lightning photos.

5. Shane Adams

Shane Adams Experienced Member

Great classic tornado and storm footage. I love the vintage stuff.

6. Jeff Hawkins

Jeff Hawkins Member

Mine as well...kinda cool to think I was on the same storm David Hoadley was on without knowing it LOL!

7. Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt Member

I enjoyed David's videos as well. I was actually on a few of those storms that he showed. Interesting to see them from another angle.

8. Roy Britt

Roy Britt Noob

I visited with David in November 2013 at his home and recorded a lengthy interview with him. I had heard many of his stories over the years and decided it would be interesting to hear his complete chase history. Below is the link to the interview. There are 2 parts and the second can be found on the link.

Watch video >

9. Dave Gallaher

Dave Gallaher Member

I've said it here on ST a number of times already, but my life changed on the day in the late 1970s at that WFO in Indiana where a guy who had graciously taken my dumb amateur questions handed me a two or three page paper copy of StormTrack, saying, "Here, you'll like this." I wrote to Dave to subscribe and ordered all back issues (not that many, at that point). At last, I wasn't the lone weirdo any more - a person outside the met field who loved storms enough to drive around looking for them.

Then I got to meet Dave and a reporter he was carrying that next chase season when they came through St. Louis. I still treasure the framed collection of his tornado photos he gave me. I do hope there will be a good bio, or autobiography, including his art and poetry.

10. Rob Wadsworth

Thought that Hoadley's mammatus footage from Schafer's first link - was truly first rate!

#10 Rob Wadsworth, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  11. Terrence Cook

Terrence Cook Member

Thanks for taking the time to do this interview Roy, you have done a great service to the community and I appreciate it greatly!

12. Mike Johnston

Mike Johnston Member

Wow, what a fascinating person. He kind of reminds me of the great basketball coach John Wooden. Wise, articulate, successful but not boastful. He would have made a wonderful teacher.

13. Morgan Palmer

I have been waiting for the release of House of Cards on Netflix on Friday. But I know what I'm watching this afternoon! Thanks for the thread and the interview, Roy.