COD site outage 8/11/2019

Dan Robinson

Staff member
Jan 14, 2011
St. Louis
stormhighway.com
Yep - that'll do it! Probably hasn't been noticed by the admins yet thanks to the weekend. Should still be in the grace period for renewal so they shouldn't permanently lose it. Plus being an .edu TLD gives them some protection as well.

Reactions: John Sacrey

Dan Robinson

Staff member
Jan 14, 2011
St. Louis
stormhighway.com
Yes I'd imagine it's chaos there now. If the registration on their primary domain expired, that's going to take down their entire online infrastructure - web, email, dns, everything. They should have internet connectivity, but all incoming traffic routed through their domain or configured with the domain or subdomains (firewalls, routers, etc) is going to be cut off.

rdale

EF5
Mar 1, 2004
Lansing, MI
skywatch.org
Correct - it wasn't a weather server issue, it was their entire college network. Their server made it through all of our high risk days lately with no issue so I'm sure it'll support today's "event" :)

Reactions: Mark Blue
Sep 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Chances are when they get the site back up, it'll just go back down again a few hours later. I wouldn't be surprised if something had to be replaced, which would possibly mean an extended site outage.

I should also mention that the outage did not affect the main part of the college of dupage website, just the weather website.

EDIT: warnings.cod.edu is back up, although the main site is still down.

Last edited: