Chasing Bases for Retirement

Jun 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
www.linkedin.com
After the chaser convergence this year, I'm not sure about Wichita. Maybe Kansas City gets one north for the latter half of the season. However it's quite a bit east of the High Plains. Lawrence is a great town, but I'm not biased in any way wearing my Jayhawks, lol!

Long as we are on I-70 Denver is another big city base. Can't argue with Pueblo or Cheyenne for mid-size markets. Omaha is another city with more amenities and culture than one might expect. I heard they are good stock pickers too, lol!

Reactions: Todd Lemery
Jun 16, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
quincyvagell.com
After the chaser convergence this year, I'm not sure about Wichita. Maybe Kansas City gets one north for the latter half of the season. However it's quite a bit east of the High Plains. Lawrence is a great town, but I'm not biased in any way wearing my Jayhawks, lol!

Long as we are on I-70 Denver is another big city base. Can't argue with Pueblo or Cheyenne for mid-size markets. Omaha is another city with more amenities and culture than one might expect. I heard they are good stock pickers too, lol!
Omaha might be an underrated location with respect to chasing. It puts you in a prime location for June/July chasing. It keeps IA/IL targets easily in play. Sure, you’d be displaced relatively far away from the panhandles and other more southern targets, but it opens up the possibilities for sleeper days in the Dakotas/Minnesota. How about those fluky days in Iowa? Iowa often gets a bad reputation, but the state seems to have one or two sneaky good tornado days in most years. I’d trade down time for more chases with less hoards on the road with slow-moving summer supercells.

In terms of a city, Omaha is very diverse. It’s not quite on the level of KC or Chicago, but it’s close.

I had a friend who lived near Omaha (Bellevue) and I’d visit at least a few times in June/July. I’ve actually had a lot of chases in the Omaha/Valley CWA. Some of which rank among the best tornado days I’ve had.

Good call @Jeff House!

Jun 4, 2018
San Angelo, TX
Omaha might be an underrated location with respect to chasing. It puts you in a prime location for June/July chasing. It keeps IA/IL targets easily in play. Sure, you’d be displaced relatively far away from the panhandles and other more southern targets, but it opens up the possibilities for sleeper days in the Dakotas/Minnesota. How about those fluky days in Iowa? Iowa often gets a bad reputation, but the state seems to have one or two sneaky good tornado days in most years. I’d trade down time for more chases with less hoards on the road with slow-moving summer supercells.

In terms of a city, Omaha is very diverse. It’s not quite on the level of KC or Chicago, but it’s close.

I had a friend who lived near Omaha (Bellevue) and I’d visit at least a few times in June/July. I’ve actually had a lot of chases in the Omaha/Valley CWA. Some of which rank among the best tornado days I’ve had.

Good call @Jeff House!
This is why I'm so excited about getting stationed up in Omaha later this year. San Angelo has been great, but it's still pretty far south of most everything, except those random I-10 storms that seemed to like popping up earlier this year. And we even got an EF-2 of our own back on 18 May. But Omaha is a great city in a pretty good location.