Chaser Windshield Mount

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Michael Snyder, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Michael Snyder

I've got a really good setup if you don't mind having your camera/camcorder upside down (you just have to flip it in your editing program). The mount costs about 50$, and I can set it up for anyone who wants it (It takes parts from 4 different units). It holds my full Sony Ar7II with 24-70mm GM lens with no problems (which is a very heavy lens). Its very sturdy, and its pretty small, and light. It has been on the windshield of my Tesla for 3 weeks now, and hasn't come loose once. It Does not budge!

You can save a lot of money vs some of the heavy duty windshield mounts this way. Flipping Video/Images is much easier then setting up a huge windshield blocking mount just to get your camera upright.

Let me know if anyone wants one.
    20170201_111519.jpg

2. Michael Snyder

Picture didn't post, here you go...

16042_e04a09042374647321492d17fec35b0d.jpg

3. Adam Ploessl

I thought about using something like this:
    http://r.ebay.com/u46U9v

Then getting a small piece of 1/4" thick strap steel with 2 holes about 3 inches apart and some 1/4" bolts. Bolt it to the mount and then then the small video camera on top of it. Camera would then face upright.

4. Paul Knightly

Paul Knightly Lurker

I've been wanting to upgrade my gear list to include a camcorder this year but I've been stuck on ways to mount it since I'm primarily focused on capturing stills/timelapses when I'm chasing and so I want to reduce the amount of time spent juggling a camcorder. Glad to hear that it is relatively easy to flip video in post-processing - what post-processing software do you use?

5. B. Dean Berry

B. Dean Berry Moderator

6. ericjkelly

7. Chris Dickerson

I agree, the Gripper 115 is awesome. I’m on my second year using it as my main camera mount for streaming, and it provides a rock-solid, stabilized video stream every time.

Some of it may be the camcorder (Panasonic 770), but I haven’t had one single issue with the mount after at least two dozen chase days. That I can just purchase something and it works, easily, reliably every single time is a huge benefit in this hobby, lol