Chaser Runs Stop Sign in front of me!

Discussion in 'Advanced weather & chasing' started by NealRasmussen, May 1, 2017.

1. Jason Boggs

Last year Warren Faidley's team and I relayed to each other via Ham Radio when we were approaching an intersection while chasing. You just can't ever be too safe when people are distracted on the road these days.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Warren Faidley

Yes, and I'm no longer taking for granted that intersections with poor visibility are clear, not just from chasers, but more so, locals. I've approached or passed several no / low visibility intersections over the last 30 years of chasing and had vehicles blow through the stop signs either in front or behind me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Mark Blue

Staff Member

I remember growing up in rural Nebraska that every few years a well known farmer would either get killed or end up seriously injured in a car crash at an intersection near their home. I think they drive those farm roads so often and it becomes such a monotonous thing to them that they become way too lax about the dangers of running stop signs at familiar intersections. So when chasers show up to the locale it becomes even more dangerous because they’re running stop signs as well in an unfamiliar place.

My point is it isn’t always two chasers who can tangle at an intersection, it can also involve a local who isn’t paying close enough attention to what they’re doing. Nonetheless, it becomes extremely dangerous with a bevy of chasers across the landscape and the more cautious we can all be the better off everyone will be in the long run.