Chase trips - are you as flexible as you can be?

Discussion in 'Introductory weather & chasing' started by Dan Robinson, May 22, 2018.

1. Jeff House

Time for another investing metaphor. I'd say just follow your own rules. DEN/CYS chasers should probably get after upslope in the back yard. I prefer true DL systems but with a slow moving trough. Lead-up days offer more chances, which means a greater overall chance of success on the trip.

Wyoming action this year is like the stock that got away. Changing rules based in it is like chasing stocks. However, WY does back up one valid rule. Get out there! Staying home offers near zero chance.

Also my rules call for outflow boundaries. I would have missed Ensign, KS but I'm not changing my own rules. Again, if your own rules call for chasing upslope, do not change. It is kind of like value and growth investing. Both are valid methods, but they have very different rule books.

2. Todd Lemery

Supporter

A footnote to what Dan said. There’s no way in hell I would have made the Laramie call. I’m pretty average in the forecasting department and the dynamics of that day would never have even crossed my mind. Kudos to those of you who nailed it. If I had been out chasing that day, I wouldn’t have. I’m pretty confident that if that same scenario popped up 5-10 years from now I would miss it again

3. Quincy Vagell

Another thought came to mind...

It's usually not a good idea to book a hotel more than 6-12 hours in advance, unless you have a flight and it becomes necessary.

The reason being that chase targets can change drastically, even in the short term. The last thing you want is to get stuck at a hotel that's out of range or have to cancel and still get charged.

I've rarely found issues with hotels being completely booked while chasing. Exceptions can be made for holiday weekends, especially near cities and tourist destinations.

4. Ethan Lang

Because of me being a poor college student I have started just putting parts of every pay check into my savings that is on a direct transfer with my checking. This way I can transfer money in and go chasing at a moments notice. Technology really is a nice thing.

5. JamesCaruso

Reminds me of one of a string of bad decisions on my 2013 chase trip. It was Memorial Day Weekend so I booked a room in the morning (think it was Sunday) in Hays KS. Ended up in south central Nebraska. Under a clear blue sky at 6pm, I decided to bail since we had a long drive back to Hays. Missed the gorgeous isolated LP that went up maybe an hour or so later. Can’t remember the exact location off the top of my head, but I’m sure some of you guys know the storm I am talking about. Saw it on RadarScope on my iPad while eating dinner back in Hays. Knew I had made a mistake, but didn’t quite know the magnitude of it until I saw pictures the next morning. Maybe I still wouldn’t have waited around long enough if I didn’t have the room in Hays, but I might have gotten a room somewhere in the area and would have been able to come back out into the field if I was keeping an eye on radar.