1. Hey there, Guest! Join us in the Discord where it's all weather, all the time, 24/7/365. Membership applications are processed in 24hrs or less. Drop by and see how we've improved this important medium.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming an Effective Net Control Station

Discussion in 'Storm spotters' started by Kyle Lockhart, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Kyle Lockhart

Kyle Lockhart Lurker

I'm interested in becoming a net control station for the local ARES outlet. I don't have the time commitment for the FEMA EmComm courses, but after watching some of K9TSU's videos on YouTube of the Rochelle, IL EF-4, I feel comfortable enough to be able to run a net. There aren't many operators out here, and I've been given the go-ahead by the ARES coordinator to bring up nets should the need arise. Even though I'm only using an HT, I'm a mile from the repeater so line-of-sight isn't an issue.

That said, what are some tips that can be used to effectively run a Skywarn net?

Kyle

2. Randy Jennings

Lots of ARES/RACES/Skywarn groups have resources online about how they run nets. Here are 2 examples:
    http://www.collinares.net/ccares-fog/skywarn
    http://www.dallasraces.org/ccrm

It may not be an issue if you only have a few operators, but the biggest problems I see in the DFW area where we have a lot of operators is reports that don't meet minimum criteria. In both of the examples above you will see how the net control sets minimum reporting criteria and the key to being a successful net control is tactfully reminding folks and enforcing it. The reason minimum criteria is set is a net control doesn't need dozens of "me-too" pee sized hail reports that can prevent more urgent reports from making it thru.

If you going to be a net control (or even a mobile spotter). You really need more than an HT. It may work great today, but when all heck breaks lose you may need the extra power.