Anticipating Tornadoes With Visual Cues

May 1, 2004
Springfield, IL
www.skip.cc
Hey folks, I thought I'd share a video version of a presentation I put together for the 2015 DuPage Advanced Severe Weather Seminar and the 2015 Minnesota Severe Storms Conferences. The title is Storm Spotting Secrets and it covers topics in anticipating tornadoes using visual cues in supercell structure. This is the information I've found to be most specific to identifying if and where tornadoes will form. I wanted to point and emphasize things that I've learned in the field as a chaser that aren't covered in great detail in spotter class but could greatly benefit spotters.

Oct 14, 2008
Tulsa, OK
A big THANKS to Skip for putting that video together. It is immensely informative... and has great footage!

I'll be watching it again and again...

Apr 23, 2015
Athens, AL
Hey folks, I thought I'd share a video version of a presentation I put together for the 2015 DuPage Advanced Severe Weather Seminar and the 2015 Minnesota Severe Storms Conferences. The title is Storm Spotting Secrets and it covers topics in anticipating tornadoes using visual cues in supercell structure. This is the information I've found to be most specific to identifying if and where tornadoes will form. I wanted to point and emphasize things that I've learned in the field as a chaser that aren't covered in great detail in spotter class but could greatly benefit spotters.

Outstanding!

Reactions: Shawn Postier
Dec 17, 2015
Kearney, NE
Skip, thank you for a informative video! As I watched many of the uncertain structures from last year, now many things come into place!
Thanks again

Sarah B. Wood

Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2013
Warsaw, Indiana
Thank you for putting together this presentation, Skip! It is very informative, and I learned something from it. I put this video in my favorites folder on Youtube for future reference, and plan on sharing this with other spotters in my area.

May 1, 2004
Springfield, IL
www.skip.cc
Thanks for the feedback Mike, Sarah, and others. Glad folks are getting some use out of it. I got sucked into Facebook and haven't been over on the forum here as much as I should be, but I'm hoping to get my latest storm spotting presentation I did for the 2017 COD seminar and 2018 Minnesota conference up on YouTube soon. I'll post back here when I do and would appreciate any feedback or critiques.

Reactions: MikeD

MikeD

EF1
Oct 10, 2017
Collierville, TN
*Cough* PLEASE CONTINUE *cough* YOUR *cough* STORM LAPSE SERIES *cough*

With all joking aside, your storm lapse is really a chasing wonder. Truthfully speaking, it’s even better than Timmer’s Tornado Chasers series (Sorry, Reed). It is also better than Discovery’s Storm Chasers series.

Reactions: Nathan Allmon