Amateur Storm Chaser 2023 Edition

Feb 19, 2018
Dunlap Illinois
Fourth time the charm:

Over the last few years my plans have been dashed by life, like bad forecasting followed by transmission failure, a new job I couldn't leave, and most recently a suspended drivers license.
20220416_125517.jpg
(notice something in the background?)
This year, though, I'm going out come hell or high water! I got a drivers license, a wproven reliable vehicle, a job this is okay with me taking time off, and actual cash.
SDP_STORM_SQUAD.jpg
Even though my Busurban isn't too good on gas, paying for gas/maintenance is still way cheaper than a car payment on a newer vehicle (I hear that the average car payment in the US is $700 a month). With that being said, if gas goes back up to $5 a gallon, I'm probably going to pick up something like a Chevy S10/Ford Ranger solely for Storm Chasing.

Anyways, I look forward to storm season 2023.

James K

EF4
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
Cool that you got to see the TIV 1 (even if it was just sitting in storage).
Hope you get a good chase season in 2023.

Feb 19, 2018
Dunlap Illinois
So a cooler line blew and killed the transmission on the 'Ol Burban (No gears whatsoever).
20230105_081842.jpg
That isn't going to stop me from chasing this year, though, I'm going to pull it this weekend and have it rebuilt (I'm also having the T-Case rebuilt since its original). Some people say it isn't really worth putting this kind of money into a truck this old, but you got to remember that I don't have a car payment. I paid $900 for this truck 2 years ago, and this is the first time it has properly let me down in over 30,000 miles pretty tough miles. I'm talking towing cars across the country multiple times, going up Pikes Peak, Burnouts, exc. The amount of money I've put away not having a car payment more than make up for the repair.
Busurban Rock Auto V.png
Despite having 316,000 miles, I think it'll be more than up to the task this storm season (once I get it fixed).
I got a couple more things I want to do to it though, first off I finally have to install myself a camera mount/laptop mount in this unit.
20220830_233457.jpg
I also want to maybe get myself a 70CM transceiver for it (I might canalize my Ham Can for that). 20220830_233607.jpg
What do you guys think about 70CM? I already got a Yaesu 2980 80 watt 2M Transceiver, do chasers use 70CM that much?