A List of Learning Resources

Trade Stocks for Free with Robinhood
Leverage your knowledge of weather to beat the stock market with free trading on Robinhood! Sign up today, get free stock!

JImboden

Thanks for compiling such a great list of resources. It's really made it easy to figure out what I don't know (which is just about everything) and start learning it.

AndrewMoore

Just a quick thanks to Ric Burney and Dneal for the links! I found them very useful!

dragonmwt

I would just like to thank everyone that has contributed to this post. I have lots of new reading material to go through. I am very grateful. I will be reading everything that I can to learn and this is a great start.

Mar 4, 2015
Matamoras, PA
Brian. I did not know that. I'm glad you told me ... and I have already updated the my sources page (http://raob.com/data_sources.php). After I loaded one of COD's sounding files, I went to the "Properties" option (under the File Menu) and saw that COD is encoding their sounding data in the standard and very popular PAOS format. PAOS = Program in Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, which is located at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

Reactions: Brian G

Brian G

EF2
Sep 25, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Brian. I did not know that. I'm glad you told me ... and I have already updated the my sources page (http://raob.com/data_sources.php). After I loaded one of COD's sounding files, I went to the "Properties" option (under the File Menu) and saw that COD is encoding their sounding data in the standard and very popular PAOS format. PAOS = Program in Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences, which is located at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Ah...that explains it. By the way, it also works for the point forecast soundings from the GFS, NAM, etc too. Just click a point anywhere on the map and it'll pull up the sounding. Then you can click the Raw Sounding Text link underneath the skew-t. It's pretty similar to how TwisterData works.

Mar 4, 2015
Matamoras, PA
Brian, thanks again for the additional information. Let me know if you ever find that RAOB is not able to decode a sounding file ... and if the data is freely available, I can create a decoder for it. If the sounding file is not freely available to the public, but is widely used, then I can also add a new decoder.