2020-04-10 REPORTS: TX

• Please note the forum rules were updated today. You may review them by clicking here
Jun 16, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
quincyvagell.com
Today's target area was Fort Stockton, TX and two storms developed around the city by mid-afternoon. Convection seemed to struggle a bit at first, probably due in part to weak forcing and somewhat large T/Td spreads in the boundary layer.

The northern storm gradually started to evolve into a supercell, to the northeast of Fort Stockton. After drifting north, it started to make a turn toward the east as it displayed more classic supercellular characteristics, as a right-mover. The road network was a bit limited and at one point I found myself driving down a series of plant roads with dead ends and blockades... The best solution I could come up with was checking out the storm from the backside, rather than driving out of my way to go around to the south/southeast.

There was a vivid rainbow, which appeared as a double rainbow at times, behind the storm. With the hail core ahead, I took my time to allow the storm to push forward. The relatively slow storm motion gave me plenty of time to take in the views and move at a leisurely pace.
200410a.jpg
As I pulled off the road to finish my WxChallenge forecast shortly before 00z, Reed pulled up beside me and chatted for a bit (at a >6 foot distance). Although the storm was somewhat elevated to that point, it looked like it was attempting to become more surface-based over McCamey. We split ways and he core punched the storm, while I preferred to stay ahead of the storm to view its structure. Aside from Reed, I only saw about three or four other chasers around the area.

With a somewhat limited road network, I dropped down to US-190 and then back north on TX-349. The other option would have been to continue on US-190 east, but I was curious to see what kind of hail this storm had put down. By this point, it was nearing sunset and the storm didn't look like it had much low-level rotation, so I was no longer chasing the storm. Maybe hail chasing?
200410b.jpg
I moved north and the roadway was turning into a bed of hail. About six miles SW of Rankin, TX, the hail appeared the most impressive. There was as much as 4-5 inches of hail on the road in spots and hail stones on the ground averaged about quarter sized. There were a few stones as large as golf balls.
That's about it for this storm chase. Chasing a bonafide supercell near Fort Stockton has been up there on my bucket list and I guess I experienced that today. The storm I chased is only just now starting to fall apart, south of San Angelo. It tracked about 140 miles and left a blanket of white (hail) across much of that path.
200410c.jpg