2019-05-17 EVENT: TX/OK/KS/CO/WY/NE/IA

Jun 4, 2018
San Angelo, TX
@Shane Adams Yeah man, was just looking at that, looks nice on radar, satellite shows it’s perfectly isolated

View attachment 18132View attachment 18133

I'm so upset with myself. Managed to get off work earlier this afternoon and toyed with the idea of heading down towards Big Lake or Ozona to wait and see if anything formed. Second guessed myself and convinced myself nothing worthwhile would happen and hung back here in San Angelo. Whoops. Live and learn I suppose.

Reactions: Steve Miller
Jul 5, 2009
Newtown, Pennsylvania
I'm so upset with myself. Managed to get off work earlier this afternoon and toyed with the idea of heading down towards Big Lake or Ozona to wait and see if anything formed. Second guessed myself and convinced myself nothing worthwhile would happen and hung back here in San Angelo. Whoops. Live and learn I suppose.
Sometimes stuff like that just happens, you can’t beat yourself up over it. Happens to me all the time. I think the road network is pretty bad out there anyway, and I’m sure that tornado was brief if it was even legitimate. May have even been a landspout.

Reactions: Michael Norris

James K

EF2
Mar 26, 2019
Colorado
Michael Norris said:
I guess I'm not the only one who toyed with the idea of going out...I also had the afternoon off, just for the heck of it checked the radar to see what was going on in the north/east part of CO. It showed a lineup of cells (still small) north of me all the way to the state line (looking north out my back windows I could even see the southern most one ). I decided against it & ended up doing some stuff around the house instead.

I know atleast a couple of those storms ended up getting severe-warned, but it was in the far north-east part of the state (too far for me)... what I don't know is if I missed any opportunities (even if it was just cloud photos) with that closest cell.

But oh well, atleast I got to watch a separate small thundershower that moved over my area just after dinner.

Jeff Duda

Resident meteorological expert
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008
Westminster, CO
www.meteor.iastate.edu
Yep, today will be an exercise in forecast failures. I felt like the moisture just wasn't really making it to SW Nebraska, and I feel things went really early and further down the DL than forecast. The 12Z HRRR did pretty good with storm location, but did not seem to adequately distribute the UH tracks as they seemed to verify.

Reactions: JamesCaruso