2015 Chase Partner Thread

Discussion in 'STORMTRACK: Announcements' started by ChristofferB, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ChristofferB

I'm currently booked in one organized tour in 2015 but I would really like to chase with a partner as well. I travel from overseas (Sweden) and need to plan way ahead and that is the reason for this early thread.

Me: I am a Swedish 35 y/o living in Stockholm, Sweden. I went to K-State as an exchange student in 2003/2004, which brought up my interest in storms (and also made my English fluent). I love to travel and been living in a few different countries. I run an online business creating websites, like StormChasingUSA.com. As a chaser I am very dedicated. I prefer storms over comfort.

My experience: My experience is based upon being an (active) guest on four tours (30 chase days in total). I have been quite active in trying to learn storm meteorology online but I am far from experienced and cannot make forecasts on my own. Basically, I have some knowledge but not enough to be of actual assistance i.e. I expect to drive (I have a Swedish drivers license that is valid to drive with in the US). One reason I want to chase with a partner is to be more active in the process and really increase my learning. I may ask a lot of questions but also know when to shut up :)

Availability: I could go either before my tour, or after. That means either be back in Tulsa on May 24th or leave from Tulsa on May 31st. I could either chase around the OK/KS area for a few days or go on a longer run, for a week max. I am quite flexible in that way but I need to know the dates beforehand so I can book my flights in advance.

Email: christoffer (A) stormchasingusa.com

#1 ChristofferB, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. calvinkaskey

calvinkaskey Guest

The longer you wait the better the forecast. I wouldn't bother booking flights beforehand. I'd red eye it.

3. Doug

Doug Noob

Needing chase partners

Always looking for chase partners i live in Emporia KS ..Contact me Doug Crisp Via Facebook Thank you !

#3 Doug, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Matt Ashworth

Matt Ashworth Member

If you happen to be in the High Plains area around the CO/KS/NE area I'd be down for chasing. Pretty storms out that way too.

5. Hannah.Taylor

Hannah.Taylor Member

Im outta Denver, but on a play it by ear basis due to my job.

I got some play time coming up this spring. However, I am more than annoyed with the Colorado cold core setups that never produce anything more than storms with hail, torrential rain and pretty rainbows and overly cautious tornado sirens.

i want the good stuff. Oklahoma/Central KS.

im about 6-7 hours drive away from there.

6. skwidaker

skwidaker Noob

Hey, I live in WV. Nobody chases here, but I'm determined to figure a few things out to make some light "chasing" more doable. We had 7 tornados for the 2014 season, well-above our annual average (certainly an outlier compared to the rest of the country in 2014). One such tornado was on the ground for 15 minutes but never received a warning. Partly, this is due to the radar tilt unable to reach low enough, and obviously, spotter or chaser assistance would have been helpful in this situation and possible others like it. I wonder if our average is so low also due to the lack of detection and reporting. If anyone wants to go on a couple chases around WV and the panhandles this year, contact me. I have some ideas, and it would be great to have a chase buddy.

7. Mark Ellinwood

I doubt you would find sane and/or experienced people to chase in WV with. Your best bet would be to find whatever places nearby where you can get decent/good views and then pray that you can be there if/when a tornado goes through that area. In my earlier days, I tried chasing in WV several times just to test the waters... since then I have basically banned myself from ever trying to chase in WV. Worst terrain+views I've ever tried to chase in.

8. John Moore

John Moore Member

I'm looking for a chase partner this year. I live in Phoenix, AZ and will be heading to the midwest for my 22nd annual storm chase this year. My time is flexible - I'm retired.

9. calvinkaskey

calvinkaskey Guest

I've chased in West Virginia before. Just once last year though. I also chased southern Ohio, Maryland and Virginia.

10. skwidaker

skwidaker Noob

Cool! When did you chase in WV? Was it recently? What did you hope to see during that chase, and was it successful? What part of WV?

11. skwidaker

skwidaker Noob

Thanks for the heads up! You're the first person I've ever encountered (other that Reed Timmer on Hurricane Sandy) that has ever attempted to chase in WV. Yah, I plan to have really low expectations, view some storm structure, maybe some nice outflow gusts, some light hail, some lightning, and anything else I can see. I'm mapping vantage points around my area for use during halfway decent severe setups this coming season. Our severe season is more Jun-Aug too.

12. Paxtonmobile

Paxtonmobile Member

I should be up for maybe a chase or two this year, depending on if the Paxtonmobile gets finished, and if I feel safe enough to do so, and have the time off from work. I'm in Kansas City, MO. Willing to go about 6 hours away.

13. Teri Mooney

In Kansas City MO area looking for people to chase with. I've been chasing in northern Kansas for 13 years. Just moved to KC. I have experience; however I am no forecaster. I'm a 57-yo female. Can chase sometimes depending on my job. Weekends are the best, but of course, storms don't follow my work schedule lol.

14. Jason Foster

Jason Foster Member

Mark and I did some of that WV stuff together (and I a few times on my own, especially toward Charlestown/panhandle area). I effing hated it and came to the conclusion I would never go to WV for chasing again. If you can find a person to share the cost and drive time, try to see if you can get into the Carolinas. Mark and I had some reasonable success there (a few funnels/tornadoes there). Also try to shoot up into PA, especially working eastward. Never got over but you are a bit closer to Ohio and Indiana with is a decent area to chase.

If the site still has the threads, look for Dan Robinson's old reports as he lived in WV previously.

15. Jason Foster

Jason Foster Member

I have considered returning to the plains this year, but not 100% sure. Kinda want to save for a 4K cinema camera, new editing computer (hackintosh??). But I really like chasing in the plains. Mentioning here for those that are based in central Florida (I'm based in Tampa). Like with Mark, be nice to get some local chasing in, see how it works before making a trip to the plains.

I am unfortunately working up until Mid-May, so the earliest I think I'm able to head out is May 19. I probably would only be out for two weeks. If you have a flexible schedule, the better. I'm busy before, but can delay into June without much issue and would prefer not to travel if the forecast is calling for the D-word.

16. kmreid

kmreid Noob

If I lived just a bit closer to you, I would love to chase with you! I am not sure how well I could swing that since I live in Russellville, AR. If things ever look favorable where I would have time, I will give you a shout!

17. alexanderhall

New to Southern California, would love to network or head out to chase with locals. It's a hell of a commute to the dryline. Not so bad to the AZ Monsoon?
    30yo M, I don't eat Corn Nuts or do anything annoying besides maybe listen to Cubs baseball.
    My schedule is all over the place.

18. Tom Dulong

Tom Dulong Member

This is Tom Dulong. I am looking to team up with other chasers based in the Dallas, TX area. Having recently retired, my time is flexible and I could be ready to go out at a moment's notice. I was an NWS meteorologist and have chased off-and-on since 1985. More notable chase partners have included Tony Laubach, Jenn Brindley-Ubl, and Verne Carlson. Please send me a PM here or via Facebook if interested.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Teri Mooney

Hope you get the time. If you do, give me a shout.

20. Teri Mooney

If you get the time, give me a holler.

21. Dylan Johnson

Hi,

I am Dylan Johnson and I am a 17 year old from North Central Iowa. For as long as I have remembered, I have loved meteorology. I have specifically been interested in Severe Weather and Weather Photography. So I was just wondering if there would be an experienced storm chaser that would maybe allow me to chase along with them? Currently I'm in school, so I wouldn't be able to leave until 3:30 until around May 30th. Then I am pretty much free for the rest of the summer.

Thanks,
    Dylan Johnson

22. David Hodges

David Hodges Member

From Norman OK. Always looking for experienced chasers to split expenses. Contact me. I will respond. Local chasers that live in the area a plus.
    Thanks,
    David Hodges

23. Kaleb Reese

Hi I'm from Memphis, Missouri (northeast missouri) and I'm looking for people to chase with.

24. workhard2121

Hey David I will be in touch. Im living in OKC now and looking to team up with some chasers this year.

25. David Hodges

David Hodges Member

Hi Neal:
    I would like to hear from you. My cell phone number is 405-243-0641. Give me a shout.

David