1990-03-13: Hesston Kansas tornado outbreak

Discussion in '1990s' started by STurner, Apr 4, 2009.

1. afischer

afischer Noob

Wow, amazing videos of the Webster/Nuckolls co. F4 Ryan... I hadn't seen those before. That tor definitely falls in the far bottom part of the sfc T/Td distribution for a very long-tracked violent tornado, with about 66/59F (at best) in its inflow environment. The rash of sig tors in the EAR-GRI corridor had even lower T/Td than that. Remarkable.

2. Joel Wright

Joel Wright Member

March 13, 1990 is a day that I'll never forget. A bunch of us neighbor kids were out roaming around the neighborhood trying to find the biggest hailstone we could find after the hail stopped when we noticed the wall cloud and funnel approaching from the southwest. None of us had seen anything like that before so we all scattered back into our houses. The funnel passed just to our west (was living in Silvis Illinois at the time), and ended up touching down a few miles to the north. It then went on to do F3 damage in Cordova, or about 15 miles north of the QC.

Man would I kill to see some radar images from this day!

3. Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt Member

I saw the last 3 tornadoes from that storm, including the wedge ne of Hesston from 13 miles away! I left Topeka a little after 4:00, when the tornado had been on the ground for over 45 minutes, and the last tornado touched down around 6:15. I have still photos, but no video. I will also never forget that day.

4. STurner

STurner Noob

Yeah that is amazing how several strong tornadoes and even a couple of violent tornadoes came out of temperatures being only in the mid to upper 60s and dewpoints in the mid to upper 50s. Like you guys said one of these violent F4 tornadoes tracked for like 131 miles. Correct me if Im wrong but didnt the Windsor, Colorado wedge EF3 come out of a pretty low temp/dew env as well as the Murfreesboro EF4 tornado. Temps and dews seemed pretty similar to the ones on 3-13-90.

5. Chris Hayes

Chris Hayes Member

March 13, 1990 is by far one of them days that I wish I could have chased. Shame I was only 10! lol. Looking at the Severeplot map of March 13 and April 26 it's amazing how similar the outbreaks are.

6. Paul Swearingen

For the record, the book that Lanny refers to is "Year of the Storms - The Dextructive Kansas Weather of 1990"; the editor is Howard Inglish, and it was published in Hillsboro, KS by Hearth Publishing.

7. NickMoir

NickMoir Noob

8. Jason Haller

Never seen that footage before but it definitely looks like Hesston by the color of the tornado and the look of the video footage. The first part looks like a little different angle on the two tornadoes the produced the long damage path. Looks legit to me.

9. Greg Stumpf

Not new - it's in the NSSL video library. Might even be on Tornado Video Classics.

10. Roy Britt

Roy Britt Noob

11. Casey Osburn

I remember the NSSFC (what is now the SPC) categorized the day as a moderate risk that morning. The conditions might have supported this, but certainly the outcome warranted a high risk.

12. Mike Johnston

Mike Johnston Member

I remember there was a beautiful postcard made of this tornado. We had it posted on our refrigerator for a whole year, surmising it was surely the biggest and baddest tornado in Kansas history....until Andover came along a year later.

13. Tyler Hudson

Tyler Hudson Member

If anyone has any information on the damage path of both of these tornadoes, I'd love to see it. Especially when it comes to Goessel. There isn't much information in the literature about it. After seeing Twister, watch the classic Hesston video solidified my love of tornadoes.