wX is a free and Open Source ( GPL3 ) Android / iOS application that is geared towards storm chasers, meteorologists, and weather enthusiasts but can be used by anyone with ease.
Requirements: Android 4.1 or higher with 1GB of memory at a minimum ( recommended ). ARM 32bit based hardware ( Intel, etc has not been tested )
Access required: App needs access to Your Location, Network Communication, Systems tools ( run at start-up for alerts ).
Originally Released (3.0) Spring 2014 under the GNU GPL3 license.
Available on play store ( see URL below for screen-shots ):
Available on App Store:
Suggestions / bug reports always welcomed.
- Current forecast, 7 day conditions, sounding data for an unlimited number of locations.
- Customizable home screen
- OpenGL based Nexrad radar interface with optional overlays for polygon warnings ( tor/tst/ffw ), Watches, MCDs, and MPDs, storm tracks, estimated hail markers, and TVS. Level 2 in the lowest tilt for base reflectivity/velocity is also available.
- Optimized text product viewer for easy access to AFD,HWO and others from any NWS WFO.
- Vis/IR/WV/Rad mosaic viewer ( with animations ) from NWS GOES. GOES supports city and severe weather polygon overlays.
- SPC products ( such as Watches/MCDs/Convective Outlooks/Mesoanalysis/Storm reports with archived radar )
- WPC products
- Radar mosaics from NWS. NWS supports city and severe weather polygon overlays.
- Models ( NCEP, HRRR viewer, SPC SREF )
- Text to speech including an offline "PlayList" functionality. Additionally numerous weather related acronyms commonly used by the NWS are translated for optimal Android TTS experience.
- Voice recognition on main screen for access to common functions.
- NHC products
- Material Design theme including support for Android 4.2-4.4.
- Easy access to twitter state weather tags such as #okwx.
- Highly configurable including multiple color themes.
- Beta support for locations in Canada.
Notifications (Android only):
- Local alerts
- MCDs impacting your location
- MPDs impacting your location
- Convective outlooks for your location
- US MCD/Watches
- Convective outlooks
- US tornadoes
- US MCD
- US MPD
- NHC Atlantic and EPAC advisories
wX @ Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=joshuatee.wx
wXL23 @ App Store:
wX ( and source code tarballs ): https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9OogdTO1kXqYzktaHZzdGdQSEk&usp=sharing
Hey there, Guest! Join us in the Discord where it's all weather, all the time, 24/7/365. Membership applications are processed in 24hrs or less. Drop by and see how we've improved this important medium.Dismiss Notice
wX (Android) / wXL23 ( iOS ) 5
wX is a free and Open Source Android/iOS application that is geared towards storm chasers ...