Staying out of trouble

Some thoughts about how to stay out of trouble on Stormtrack:

Rule #1: Respect your fellow members.
All registered users must address fellow members with the utmost respect at all times. If you do not agree with a fellow member, be courteous in your response. Thomas Jefferson said it best: "When I hear another express an opinion which is not mine, I say to myself, he has a right to his opinion, as I to mine".

Because of the limitations of text based communication, the expression of intent can be tricky. One of the most common triggers of rule violations is the misinterpretation of intent behind a post. It never hurts to begin a response with "In my opinion"...

If you do not address everyone on the board with respect, be prepared to lose your membership.

Rule #2: Do not post profanity. Obscene material is not permitted, nor are links to websites containing such material or anything deemed inappropriate for minors. If what you have to say wouldn't be suited for network TV, don't post it here. Use of profanity will not help you get your point across and is in fact, a crutch many use who cannot express themselves well. Don't use that crutch...

Rule #3: Off-limit Topics & Forum-Specific Rules Controversial topics will be closely monitored if they occur outside of "The Bears Cage". Political and religious related discussion are not allowed in any other forum except the The Bears Cage. Several forums have their own specific rules posted as sticky threads. In the future these forum specific rules will be relocated to the Resources section in the main menu.

Rule #4: Cultural Sensitivity Negative remarks based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion will not be tolerated.

Rule #5: Questioning a Moderation Decision Publicly. If you have a disagreement with a staff member (If your thread gets deleted, if you get a warning, etc.), DO NOT post your complaint publicly on the forums. If you would like to raise a complaint regarding a staff member's actions, start a private conversation or email the staff member. If the staff members response is unsatisfactory, please contact the forum owner.

We take all complaints seriously, but posting your dissatisfaction publicly will result in a rule violation.

Rule #6: Use Courtesy in private Conversations and the Chat Room. Please use courtesy when using the private messaging functions, otherwise known as Conversations. Any complaints received of members abusing these messaging functions will result in a ban or possible membership termination.

Rule #7: Spam = BAD
Spamming is prohibited on Stormtrack.

Rule #8: Represent yourself truthfully. Please be honest when representing yourself on Stormtrack. Using two or more user accounts concurrently is prohibited. Registering duplicate accounts to circumvent a ban is prohibited. Stormtrack staff members reserve the right to check internet IP addresses for verification.

Rule #9: Endorsement Disclosure The purpose of these disclosures is to provide those who read your posts with the full knowledge of your situation, when considering your opinions on gear. We recognize the fact that in some circumstances a minor discount or other "non-endorsing" remuneration may be too insignificant to consider for disclosure. We trust that as honest storm chasers that you'll use your best judgment and moral guide to determine if your fellow members would benefit from the disclosure of this information. Stormtrack reserves the right to require disclosure if the remuneration is deemed significant.

Rule #10: No Trolling Any member that posts in a trolling manner will not be tolerated. Trolling is defined as making inflammatory posts simply to , while lacking in substance pertaining to the thread topic. Staff discretion applies.
Category:
General Forum Usage
Published:
Feb 1, 2015
Page Views: