If Rita hits at night -- will you still chase it?

Mike Johnson

Since Katrina was a daylight hitting storm -- I'm just wondering
how many chasers will go the distance to chase what appears to
be a nighttime (hitting coast) storm.

Mike

I am praying that she will slow down a little. I think it is a fair possibility considering its current speed. I will probably still chase it if it hits at night, but it won't be nearly as much fun.

i will.depending on how strong it gets and what direction it goes.pending it hits between Port Lavaca and Houston,i will be on the east side of it.take HWY 59 S straight to it or 45 S.ALSO,depends on what Law Enforcement does to.they may not let anyone in that shouldn't be there.

Mike ~ the answer to your question is yes! I will be leaving London on Thursday to try and intercept Rita somewhere in Texas.

At this time of year (close to the equinox) there is a 50/50 chance of a day/night time landfall so I will take my chances – Ivan was a Night time . Isabel was a day time…. this far out I dont know what time Rita will come ashore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"B Ozanne\")</div>
A change in speed by +/- 2mph over this distance can easily change the landfall time by many hours.[/b]

that is what i am thinking.probably some where in the early AM saturday range.

Usually -- the NHC strike time at 4-5 days out is off by 8-12 hours which would likely make it a daytime storm -- at this point if delayed. I'm also guessing any turn to the north, if prolonged, might add a few hours. FYI, just saw the Accu-Wx guy on Fox say he thinks it will go Cat 4-5.

Mike

Latest NHC public advisory (8:00 PM-EST - 9-20-05) has slowed Rita down to 12 MPH. (It was moving at 15 MPH).

If this trend continues, the storm has a higher chance of a daytime strike although it's still a long way out. I am just wondering if once it gets on the west side of the ridge if it's not going to race north?

Mike

That is what I was thinking Mike. We need Rita to slow down quite a bit because she will probably accelerate once it begins to round the ridge. Even with the NHC's new time line, it still looks like it would hit before dawn.

If chasing at night its helpful to find a position that has extensive lights with a generator. Hospitals tend to be good. That way you can see and film.

Dont use a spotlight, it attracts cops. Youll likely be within an evac/curfew zone so keep a low profile, unless you have press passes.

I doubt any hospitals in Galveston will remain open. My guess is that after Katrina, even larger structures will be evacuated. I have not been
in the Galveston area for years -- but I do seem to remember some sturdy structures opposite the Gulf beaches that might survive a Cat-4.
They also have a massive sea wall. It will be very interesting to see how that works!

Mike

I remember seeing the seawall, but I don't remember it being massive. I was there for a tropical storm a couple of years ago and water was splashing over and hit us as we drove down the road. If anybody chases this in Galveston, please find a parking garage at least 5 stories. The surge could be 30 feet (3 Stories)+waves and you don't want to be on the top floor when the eyewall of this thing comes through.

I would love to chase her, but I wouldn't feel safe in Galveston. Houston would be perfect since they have so many parking garages. Remember to bring plenty of gas, food, water, a generator if possible, a couple of spare tires and be prepared to protect yourself against anarchy for a couple days because there will be looters for at least the first 12 hours after the storm.

I want to go, but I am so broke since Katrina has killed my business for the last few weeks that I don't know if I will be able to afford the extra expenses. I am going to try though.

If the eye hits east of Galveston then there is not a single place you will be safe. There are no sea walls and a lot of swamp.

You could try to get in here..doubtful though

Galveston County Emergency Services Facility

This facility is the first in the nation to combine a National Weather Service office with an emergency management department of local government. The 23,500-square-foot building has been designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane (winds in excess of 155 mph) and will house the Galveston County Office of Emergency Management, the National Weather Service, Galveston County 9-1-1 District and members of the Texas Division of Emergency Management

http://gcoem.org/facility.php

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember seeing the seawall, but I don't remember it being massive. I was there for a tropical storm a couple of years ago and water was splashing over and hit us as we drove down the road. If anybody chases this in Galveston, please find a parking garage at least 5 stories. The surge could be 30 feet (3 Stories)+waves and you don't want to be on the top floor when the eyewall of this thing comes through.

I would love to chase her, but I wouldn't feel safe in Galveston. Houston would be perfect since they have so many parking garages. Remember to bring plenty of gas, food, water, a generator if possible, a couple of spare tires and be prepared to protect yourself against anarchy for a couple days because there will be looters for at least the first 12 hours after the storm.

I want to go, but I am so broke since Katrina has killed my business for the last few weeks that I don't know if I will be able to afford the extra expenses. I am going to try though.

If the eye hits east of Galveston then there is not a single place you will be safe. There are no sea walls and a lot of swamp.

I forgot to sign in. My bad guys.

Rita now looks very likely to be a nighttime event as of Wednesday evening -- unless a major speed or strike zone change occurs. Looks like the main event will be from about sunset on Friday until Sunrise on Saturday. About the worse timing you could pick as a chaser or as someone trying to rideout the storm.

Mike

Originally posted by David Schuttler
Galveston County Emergency Services Facility
I'm not impressed, unless it is WAY up on an artificial hill. It may not get blown down, but it will still get flooded out. And anybody in there better have a ride home, because I don't see a three story parking garage for their cars.

The problem with Galveston is that you might be trapped there forever
because I-45 will be gone and there will be no other way out.

Mike

Back